How can we improve Silk Test?

Silktest Workbench - Find/Replace text in all scripts

Currently you can Find/Replace only in one script. This does not cover many cases when you are forced to make similar changes in e.g. 100 scripts.

50 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gardy Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that can be solved with the addition of the Shared Modules to SilTest as it exists in TestPartner. One can see all the objects that are created through the Object Browser. The Shared Modules really gives TestPartner a clean look. I would love to see the same thing in SilkTest.

• Jean-Francois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, give us a way to manipulate the scripts out of SilkTest Workbench!

From Frank Borland :

Keep it open. I know you own other tools, and Borland never wants to restrict their use, or force you to change. So we make testing software that works seamlessly with what you already own. Borland leads the way in creating open, agile software today; I want to help that to continue and even improve in the future

• Jean-Francois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I put 3 votes.

This is such a vital feature because SilkTest Workbench stores its script files into a database row. There is no way to easily manipulate the files. They are more or less locked inside the SilkTest Workbench environment. Even using the Export Assets feature, the files are not transformable because they are exported as XML with the actual text encoded in Base64.

Currently, we use a home-made AutoHotKey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) script to automatically open each SilkTest script and extract the content into a text file. Then we use sed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed) on the whole collection of text file to do our replacement. Finally, using AutoHotKey again we automatically open each SilkTest script and copy-paste from the modified text file. All that is done semi-automatically, but it still takes a few hours!

We have this semi-automatic process and going from SilkTest 2010 to SilkTest 13 was a pain because of a few changes we were forced to do.

It would be really useful if there was a built-in way to do a Search and Replace (supporting regex please!)

Feedback and Knowledge Base