I suggest you ...

word document compare

Starteam can compare difference version of txt file, is there any possbile, that make starteam support word document compare?

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
kefeng wang shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gurce Isikyildiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the past, I got by via configuring starteam to use an external diff app. Eg, Beyond Compare, the windows-version will diff word files by auto-converting them to text first then diff'ing the results. Not perfect, but ok.

I've noticed that newer versions of MS Word also offer their own internal diff'ing engine, which is a nice visual diff, formatting and all.

It'd be nice if MS word allowed us to run it for diff'ing purposes. Eg, something like "msword --diff file1.doc file2.doc" would be great.

If I were to digress a little, one thing I'd recommend for the client is to allow the configuring of 'several' external-diff apps, depending on the suffix-type.

Eg, in game-development, it'd be nice for us to specify a graphical-diff-app for graphic formats (.bmp, .png, .jpg, etc), a sound differ app for .wav, .ogg, a font-differ for .ttf, .fon, a .psd differ for .psd files, etc.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Other Office formats, like Excel and PowerPoint compare would be nice. And since we're talking about text-like files, I'd throw PDF compare in there, too.
    [The new Office formats (those that the extension ends in 'x') really are just text documents anyway -- XML files stored in a .zip-like format.]

• Pedro Garcia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn´t this feature existed in the past? In the old client, before the creation of the Cross-platform-client?

Feedback and Knowledge Base